Sunday, February 5, 2012

We've been (Jason) Wu'd

Last week, my buddy Becky (of Pump Up the Frump fame) asked if I wanted to go on a "Shopping Safari" to brave the wilds of Target for the release of their Jason Wu Collection.  Though she ended up unable to make it, I joined Erin (of Reality Chic fame) for the event.

If you don't know of Jason Wu, the best chance of you seeing his work was on Michelle Obama at her husband's Presidential Inauguration in 2009.  Since then, he has exploded as a designer and got the attention of Target stores.
Michelle's Dress designed by Jason Wu
From the "First Ladies at the Smithsonian" Exhibit

Because of the madness that surrounded Targets last collaboration with a high end fashion label, Missoni, I felt like it would be a grand adventure to see first hand what the "opening morning" would be like.  I think this is what guys feel like when they get up for the opening morning of hunting season.

So I rolled out of bed on Sunday morning and met Erin at Target at 7:30 am.  There were three ladies (and one gent) in line already but we chose to hang out in her nice dry and warm car until the doors opened.  We were not obsessed with getting our hands on every single piece, but more there for the experience so staying in the car was no big deal.  By 7:55, the front of target looked like this:
  
There were maybe 25 people in line ready and waiting to go in.  Once the doors opened, we decided to head in, not wanting to be trampled by the masses.  I think the first things to go were the purses and seeing that there were maybe only 25 in stock TOTAL, I'm not surprised.  The designs were really great and looked high end.  Had I not gotten a darling purse for Christmas and had they not been white (I'd never keep it clean!) I would have been tempted.

The most interesting thing I noticed:
It was eerily quiet around the few racks of Jason Wu clothing.  No talking, just grabbing.  It seemed that most ladies were going for one piece of each in their size and heading to the dressing rooms.  Erin and I casually grabbed a hand full of pieces each and made the rounds a few times before heading to the dressing rooms. I tried on four pieces and I'll share my thoughts on each...
Jason Wu for Target
This black pleated chiffon skirt was FUN.  It is a cute length (slightly above the knee), flows nicely, and would be a great basic piece to work from.  If I didn't already have a very similar skirt in orchid purple, I would have been veeeery tempted to purchase it.  Plus, you can swish and twirl in it and that makes any skirt a winner in my book!

Jason Wu for Target
This dress looked AMAZING on Erin.  She's tall and leggy and it was adorable on her.  I, on the other hand, put it on and was quite underwhelmed.  Maybe it was because I was trying on a medium, but it was quite boxy on me and the bottom navy stripe hit me at the very widest part of my hips.  Not my best look.  The material is soft but you will definitely have to be wary of the VPL (visible panty line) because the jersey is pretty thin.  It has really lovely sheer navy trim around the sleeves and neckline that give it a higher end look.  Classy and all American, just not for me.

Jason Wu for Target
This floral number was cute.  Without the belt it is a giant tent but with the cute skinny yellow belt, it is quite flattering.  The material is soft and flowy and looks expensive.  The flowers remind me of something from the mid 90s so it has a thrift store chic kind of feeling to it.  It is a sweet dress but nothing super special.

Jason Wu for Target

I remember seeing this dress on the website and thinking it looked quite frumpy.  Even on the model it looks like a maids dress from the 50s.  Not a look I want to rock around town.  

The polka dot pattern is actually tiny black and grey bicycle wheels that are quite whimsical in person, so that caught my eye.




I grabbed the dress just to have something else to try on.  I have almost NO white in my closet, but what the heck, right?
And then I put it on.  and added a yellow belt.  and it was SO CUTE.  The waist hit me at just the right height, the length is cute, and I was smitten.  Erin tried on the same dress and...not so much.  It just goes to show you that the "JUST TRY IT ON" mantra is always the best one to follow because you never know when you'll be pleasantly (or unpleasantly) surprised.

I'm sorry Jason Wu, I'll never doubt you again (except for this dusty pink and yellow number because, well, it looks gross on almost everyone!)

The dress has some really great details that take it above and beyond Target's usual line of disposable clothes (which I love and purchase often, for the record).  The front yoke (above the bust and below the shoulders) has a sweet stitched lace detail and the pleats at the waist give a really nice kick to the skirt.  A pop of color with the mustard yellow belt finish it of nicely.  I have a few ways I want to style this dress already, one of them being with black leggings and my beloved grey low-top Converse sneakers!!

Erin and I (joined by Rachael of Style Every Day fame) finished the morning off with coffee (much needed) and breakfast at the Echo Restaurant  in Hyde Park.  All in all, I'm really glad we did this.  It was a fun adventure and definitely something I'd do again with the gals!!


Did you venture out to Target to check out the Jason Wu line?  What did you buy?


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Megan! Even though I didn't grab anything, it sure was fun watching the madness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I would definitely go back and do it again!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...